Skip to main content

Contact Form


Email *

Message *

How to say "more rice" differently from "more ice"?

Gemination is concerned with pronouncing identical adjacent consonants between word boundaries. In other words, when one word ends with and the next word begins with the same consonant sound, we need a way to signal this. How to pronounce the twin consonants depends on the type of consonants. In fact, for the gemination purpose, consonants can be divided into three groups: continuous consonants, stops and affricates. Continuous consonants link to each other differently from stops and affricates because the air flows continuously with continuous consonants, unlike stops and affricates. 
Continuous consonants
Continuous consonants are consonants for which air flows continuously through a constricted area of the vocal tract. When pronouncing continuous consonants, the air is never completely blocked by any part of the vocal tract. Continuous consonants include fricatives ( /f, v, θ, ð, s, z, ʃ, ʒ, h/), nasals (/m, n, ŋ/), and liquids (/l, r/). We can pronounce these sounds continuously. 
To link from one continuous consonant into the same continuous consonant, the linked consonant sound is extended, which is to say, pronounced for a slightly longer amount of time than a normal, single sound. That is, two continuous consonants are not pronounced twice, but pronounced once, but longer than usual. For example, in "social life," /l/ is produced for more time than if the sound occurred alone. When we compare the phrase 'more rice' (linking /r/ to /r/) to the phrase 'more ice' (linking /r/ to a vowel sound), the /r/ of the phrase 'more rice' is said for a longer duration than that of ‘more ice.’ For this reason, gemination regarding continuous consonants is called consonant lengthening.